Call for Proposal: Communications Consulting Firm for One Map Initiative at the Local Level
WRI Indonesia is a national entity (Yayasan) associated with the World Resources Institute (WRI), a global environmental research organization that turns big ideas into action at the nexus of environment, economic opportunity, and human well-being. WRI work with various stakeholders in the natural resources sector to support policy and management that are both profitable and sustainable. WRI has worked with leaders in more than 50 countries for more than 30 years, with offices in Africa, Brazil, China, Europe, India, Indonesia, Mexico and the United States.
Launched in early 2014, WRI Indonesia builds on WRI’s 10-year history in the country focusing on forests and land use governance, and strengthens our impact on the ground. In the short-to-medium term, WRI Indonesia aims to expand its presence and portfolio to include climate, energy, as well as cities and transportation programs.
The specific assignment will support WRI Indonesia’s One Map Initiative at the Local Level and other related project portfolio.
The overall objective of the One Map Initiative at the Local Level is to transform land use decision-making processes to be open, accountable, and participatory. WRI Indonesia will achieve this through catalyzing a unified and transparent land use planning and monitoring system that is accessible to all land use stakeholders. Through partnership with local governments, civil societies and the private sectors, WRI Indonesia will develop a model of engagement that can be used to scale this approach into a National One Map Policy. The work will span until 2020, focusing on Riau, South Sumatra, Papua and West Papua provinces. Other project portfolio related to One Map Initiative includes, but not limited to Land Use Accountability (LUA), Forest Law Enforcement, Governance, and Trade (FLEGT), Forest and Landscapes Restoration (FLR), and Governance Center.
The communications consulting firm will be responsible for assisting WRI Indonesia in developing and implementing a comprehensive communications strategy for the One Map Initiative at the national and sub-national level. Reporting to One Map manager of WRI Indonesia, the communications consulting firm will coordinate with WRI Indonesia’s communications specialist and other key personnel of the projects.
The consulting firm will perform the following tasks:
- Develop a communications plan for 2019 following themes submitted by One Map Initiative communications team, and a clear plan of how to communicate each of the key messages from the One Map Initiative that will be represented on differing media platforms (both traditional and digital), and creating a cohesive narrative.
- One of the main key messages that will run throughout the year will be transparency, as the issue of transparency is deeply intertwined with the principles and usage of the One Map Policy.
- Generate relevant and creative ways to engage each key stakeholders, and communicate the highlighted themes from One Map Initiative communications team, to garner interest and support of the One Map Initiative through events and publication. Create a comprehensive activity plan for One Map Initiative at the Local Level, so that all parties involved will have a blueprint of quarterly tasks and deadlines that must be met by both the Communications Consultant Firm and One Map Initiative communications team.
- Implementation of each point of the communications plan, from creation to execution. Submitting a post-event report so that the One Map Initiative communications team is able to draw a clearer picture of the successes and failures of each communications strategy.
- Research and suggest possible third party partnerships that may be of use to the projects (influencers, media personalities, field experts, creators etc.)
- Managing relations with various external parties that come into contact with the Communications Consultant Firm in regards to scheduling and conducting fee negotiations.
- Weekly monitoring and reporting of published articles and essays in the media that mention or are relevant to the One Map Initiative, highlighting keywords that will be discussed.
The stakeholders/target audience have been defined as:
- The informed public – Raising awareness of the issue in broad and general terms.
- Private sectors and NGOs – Rising awareness of the issue as well as an encouragement to increase participation.
- Media – Engaging business and economy focused media to understand and explore the issue of the One Map Policy.
Scope of Work
The consulting firm’s expected service in this project will include the following:
Communications Strategy Development
- Develop a comprehensive communications strategy encompassing the utilisation of all possible communication channels, including but not limited to; traditional media, digital media, influential individuals and/or relevant media personalities, experts, and creators to communicate the themes set out by the One Map Initiative communications team.
- Mapping out strategic objectives for each point of the communications plan and develop a clear plan of activities with a feasible timeline for the year 2019, which will be used as a guide for both the Communications Consultant Firm and One Map Initiative communications team to meet deadlines.
- Researching relevant events and/or momentums for the implementation of specific communication strategies to amplify activity and/or gain additional attention for the One Map Initiative.
- Conduct regular reviews and evaluation of the Communications Strategy with the One Map Initiative communications team to adjust and restructure the current implementation of strategies and/or the information communicated as needed.
- Incorporate current communication strategies that is ongoing in the larger scheme. Working with the One Map Initiative communications team to communicate relevant time-sensitive information.
- Produce communications metrics/KPI for all activities.
- Planning and suggesting of relevant media channels to engage the target audience, and further communicate communications objective.
- Communicating and managing relations with media channels.
- Submit regular media coverage report, covering (when relevant);
- Media coverage (traditional media and digital), on the One Map Initiative and relevant topics
- Engagement and/or interest of the One Map Initiative on social media channels.
- Planning and suggesting of relevant events to engage the target audience, and further communicate communications objective, or to amplify other communications activities.
- Implementation of event planning in coordination with the One Map Initiative communications team.
- Submit post-event report, covering (when relevant);
- Media coverage (traditional media and digital), and increased interest on the One Map Initiative and relevant topics
- Increased engagement and/or interest of the One Map Initiative on social media channels due to event.
- Conducting research for relevant third party personalities that can be involved in communicating the objectives (ie. influencers, media personalities, field experts, creators, etc).
- Contacting and managing the relations with involved parties, including briefing on the topics at hand, scheduling, and/or fee management (if needed).
- Working with third party personalities in developing tailored communications to suit targeted audiences.
- Regular report and review of on-going communications strategy. With the flexibility to discuss the possibility of adjusting and tweaking the strategy to optimize time and budget.
- End of project comprehensive report detailing growth, challenges, best practices, and a suggestion for the next step of the project.
Documents to Submit
- Proposal, which include proposed communications strategy and budget
- Company profile and relevant portfolio
All documents should be submitted via email to firstname.lastname@example.org by January 22, 2019.