We believe in Indonesia’s potentials to be the international leader in efforts to achieve sustainability. Home to one of the greatest biodiversity spots on the planet, an enviable wealth of natural resources, as well as a diverse economy, Indonesia could turn these assets into betterment of its people’s well-being. At WRI Indonesia, we aim to bring innovations in research and business approaches in order to create the enabling conditions for Indonesia to achieve swift economic growth sustainably. We seek to contribute to the accomplishment of ambitious national goals, through working with leaders in public and private sectors, as well as civil society organizations, in turning big ideas into action.
Globally, we organize our work around six critical goals that the world must achieve this decade in order to secure a sustainable future:
- Climate: Protect communities and natural ecosystems from damage caused by greenhouse gas emissions, and generate opportunities for people by catalyzing a global transition to a low-carbon economy.
- Energy: Drive the scale-up of clean, affordable power systems throughout the world to deliver sustainable socio-economic development.
- Food: Ensure the world’s food systems reduce their impact on the environment, drive economic opportunity, and sustainably feed 9.6 billion people by 2050.
- Forests: Alleviate poverty, enhance food security, conserve biodiversity, and mitigate climate change by reducing forest loss and restoring productivity to degraded, deforested lands.
- Water: Achieve a water-secure future by mapping, measuring, and mitigating global water risks.
- Cities and Transport: Improve quality of life in cities by developing and scaling environmentally, socially, and economically sustainable urban and transport solutions.
- Ocean: We are charting the path for a New Ocean Economy that is good for jobs, economic growth and human health -- while protecting and restoring the ocean.
In Indonesia, we specifically focus on the issues of climate, forests, energy, as well as cities and transport. These include programs that could contribute to the following goals:
- Improved/more sustainable land use policy and management
- Moving towards livable and sustainable city
- More sustainable coastal/ocean spatial planning and productivity
We design solutions for and analyze these six critical goals through the lenses of our three centers:
- Our Governance Center works to empower people and support institutions to foster socially equitable and environmentally sound decision-making.
- Our Business Center harnesses the private sector to spur action, innovation, and ambition in support of sustainable development outcomes. We combine research, analysis, tools, and direct engagement with businesses to create solutions that advance environmental sustainability and drive value.
- Our Finance Center aims to mobilize and shift public and private sector investments toward sustainable development—particularly in developing nations. We advance transparency, sound governance, environmental and social safeguards, and public-private partnerships to ensure this finance is ambitious, accountable, and effective.